General Rust Stain Removal From Carpeting: Method 2
What you will need:
- Liquid dishwashing detergent
- Spray bottle
- White hand towels or white paper towels
Since rust stains are hard to remove from carpeting it my take a few different methods to completely remove the stain. The following steps are a continuation of method 1. Only move on to method 2 if you cannot remove the rust stain through method 1.
- Ensure you have already completed method 1 before you start to complete method 2.
- Once method 1 is complete and the rust stain remains on the carpet, create a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent and 1 quart of water. You can make the mixture in a bowl or bucket.
- Take your clean white towel or clean white paper towel and dampen it with the mixture.
- With the damp towel blot the rust stained area. Continue to blot, not rub, until the stain is removed. If you have a large stained area you can change the towel as needed ensuring it is dampened with the mixture of soapy water.
- Once the stain is removed spray clean water on the carpet with a spray bottle.
- Using a paper towel blot the stained area until all of the cleaning products have been removed.
- Allow the carpet to dry completely. Do not apply heat just in case the stain has not been removed. Heat will only set the rust stain further into the fibers.
- Once you are sure the rust stain has been removed and the carpet is dry vacuum the area to ensure the carpet looks clean and fresh.
If the rust stain has not fully been removed, after both method 1 and method 2 have been completed, it might be time to call in the professionals. Rust stains can be very difficult to remove and the professionals will be able to bring in the heavy equipment and cleaning supplies needed to make your carpet look like new.
Tips to Remove Rust Stains From Your Carpet
- If you have a particularly stubborn rust stain to remove you may want to call in the professionals for help. Rust is difficult to remove and when trying to clean it yourself you can do more damage than good.
- When trying to remove the rust stains from your carpet only use white towels. Some of the cleaning products can make the colored dyes run from the towel and cause a second stain that you will need to remove.
- Before saturating your carpets with any type of cleaning product ensure it is safe to use. You can do this by putting a small amount of cleaner on the carpet, in an inconspicuous place, and allow it to sit for one minute. Blot the area clean and inspect the carpet. If the color has changed or faded the product is NOT safe to use.