How to Get Tomato Stains Out of White Pants
What you will need:
- White vinegar
- Clean sponge
- window cleaner (colorless and ammonia based)
Many dread that, what seems to be inevitable, tomato stain on their favorite white pants, but you can feel a little happier knowing there are a few great tips to help remove the stain. The following method of removing tomato stains from your white pants is a little untraditional, but is a great way to save your pants.
- Using a sponge or spray bottle apply pure white vinegar directly on the stain.
- Allow the vinegar to sit on the fabric for about 10 minutes.
- Launder the white pants at the hottest temperature the fabric will allow. Make sure to add 2 cups of white vinegar and your usual laundry detergent to the wash water. It might be a good idea to wash the soiled garment alone. This will save the cleaner laundry from becoming soiled as well.
- Remove the pants from the washer. Inspect the stained area. If the stain remains you will need to move on to step 5.
- Spray the colorless, ammonia-based window cleaner on the stained area. Allow the window cleaner to sit and penetrate the stain for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse the window cleaner from the garment with cold water. Ensure you use cold water.
- Wash the white pants as normal. If you need help you can always look on the tag for washing directions.
- Inspect the area. If the stain remains repeat the steps above.
- If you are dealing with a really stubborn stain add a small amount of bleach to the washing water.
Tips to Removing Stains From Your White Pants
Ever wonder why your white pants look grey or dingy. The answer could lie with the water that is used to wash your whites. The mineral content of your water can cause stains and an overall dingy look in your whites. There are a few helpful tips to making your whites whiter.
- Oxyclean is a great product to use when washing your whites. It has a similar cleaning power as hydrogen peroxide, but you can just add it to a load of laundry. It is even safe to use on your colors.
- If you don't have oxyclean you can always make your own stain fighting cleaning solution by combining 1 cup of powdered tide, 1 cup of powdered Biz, and 1 cup powdered cascade. Add this mixture to the hot washing water in the washing machine. Place the load of whites in the water and allow them to soak for a few hours. You can leave them overnight if you would prefer. Wash the load of whites and rinse the load of laundry twice with cold water.