How to Polish Granite
Polishing granite can be a very time consuming process, because you have to be very careful not to stain or harm the granite. That means the process can be very slow. Here is one of the best ways for you to polish granite while using common materials from your home.
What you will need:
- Soft cloths
- Solution of one part rubbing alcohol, three parts water, and a few drops of dish soap.
- Spray bottle
- Make the solution and put it in the spray bottle.
- Take the spray bottle and spritz the entire area. Take care that you do not put too much of the solution on the granite. The more that you put on, the longer that it takes for you to buff the area. Using too much polish can also make your granite tops look smeared and messy.
- After allowing the spray to sit for about two to three minutes, buff the area by using large, circular motions going in the same direction. As the polish dries, your circles should become smaller.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get the shine that you’re looking for!
There are two other solutions that you could use as polish when you are looking to polish the granite around your home.
- Standard, non-abrasive, commercial granite polish.
- A solution of ¼ cup of baking soda and 3 cups of warm water.
You apply these in the same exact way as described above. All three methods have the same amount of effectiveness. Before using any of these polishes, make sure that you have gloves and eye protection on. The chemicals that you’re using can really irritate your eyes and skin if you aren’t careful, so take measures to keep yourself safe.
It’s recommended that you polish your granite surfaces and objects at least once a month and keep the surfaces clean during the in-between times. By doing this, you can make the process of cleaning and polishing your granite countertops much simpler throughout the year. This will help your granite countertops and objects look great no matter where they are in your home, and then you can keep that elegant style year-round.