Other Wheel Care and Maintenance Tips
If you are taking care of your custom wheels, there are a variety of other things that you should know when taking care of your wheels. It will make it easier to polish them if you follow some of these care tips on a regular basis as well.
- Wipe down your wheels regularly. Some people even suggest wiping them down every day that you drive, because various materials and residue can get built up over time. Even if you don’t polish them all of the time, a quick rub down with a cloth every week or so is a great way to keep your rims looking great.
- Make sure to keep an eye out for brake dust as well; this can really wear down your wheels if you don’t rub it off regularly.
- Don’t go to automatic car washes unless you absolutely cannot wash your car on your own or if it’s in desperate need for a quick wash. The high alkaline in these washes can actually hurt the finish on your wheels and on other parts of your car.
- Wait until your wheels are cool to wash and polish them. Hot wheels can dry the soap that you’re using before you can rinse it off, which will leave soap scum and streaks on your wheels.
- Don’t use steam cleaners for your wheels either. The steam can eat away at the finish and make it look messy and streaked, which no one wants.