How to Remove Cup Rings From Wood Method 2
What you will need:
- non-gel toothpaste
- Soft cloth
- Full fat mayonnaise
There are many remedies to removing cup rings from wood, but this method calls for ingredients that might come as a surprise.Don't dismiss this method yet it seems to really work. Again if the wood furniture is considered an antique do not try this remedy. Instead call a professional that can fix antique furniture.
- Using a soft cloth and non-gel toothpaste you can release the moisture from most wood surfaces. To begin the cup ring removal you will want to apply a generous amount of toothpaste to the soft cloth.
- Apply the toothpaste in a circular motion. This should be like a buffing motion.
- Continue to apply toothpaste and change the soft cloth as you try and remove the cup rings.
- Using a clean soft cloth remove the toothpaste using the same buffing motion.
- Inspect the stained area. If the stain remains you can use a full fat mayonnaise.
- Ensuring that you have full fat mayonnaise apply a thick layer on the cup ring.
- Allow the mayonnaise to sit for about 1 hour.
- Using a clean cloth wipe the mayonnaise off with the same buffering motion you used with the toothpaste.
- Once the mayonnaise has been removed inspect the wood. If the cup ring still has not been removed repeat the steps above.
How to Remove Cup Ring From Wood Method 3
What you will need:
- Hot iron
- Smooth textured/lint-free cloth
This method of removing the cup rings from wood has the same idea as the others: trying to remove the trapped moisture from the wood surface. This method uses heat to remove the trapped moisture by allowing the moisture to evaporate.
- To begin, you will need to find a smooth textured lint free cloth to place over the cup ring. The reason you want a smooth textured lint free cloth is so you can remove the moisture from the wood without causing the finish to be harmed. Sometimes when heat is applied to the finish of the wood it can cause it to melt a little leaving the lint and texture of the cloth indented in the wood. To prevent this problem it is much easier to use a smooth textured lint free cloth.
- Next, you will need to heat up the iron. You should place the setting on cotton so that the iron gets as hot as it can.
- Once the iron is hot, place the smooth textured lint free cloth over the cup ring and press the iron into the fabric briefly. Do not leave the iron there for too long this could cause more stains.
- Lift the cloth to inspect the cup ring. If the ring remains you can continue to repeat this process until the cup ring has been removed.