Using Medicine to Treat Dog Tear Stain Infections
In certain cases it could be an infection that is causing the tearing problem with your dog. You will need to seek the advice of a vetrinarian to determine if this is the case to avoid misdiagnosing. You can also receieve the appropriate medication from the veterinarian, who can likely treat your dog's tearing if it is related to an infection. In certain cases, they may want to apply a topical solution directly to your dog's skin.
To Treat Dog Tear Stains with Topical Solution
- Calm or sedate your dog
- Trim hair on and around the tear stains using electric clippers or scissors
- Shave the effected area of dog hair
- Use a razor to access skin
- Wash the skin using soap and warm water
- Apply a topical treatment for the dog tear stains
- Apply an ointment to protect the area
- Use a collar for a few days so your dog can't harm the treated area
This method is really a last resort. Many dog tearing stains can be removed through cleaning and dietary changes.