With the weather getting nicer and the many parties that are planned you could be thinking how to remove cake frosting stains. Cake frosting stains clothes and carpets because it is a food product and because it is normally dyed very vibrant colors. Cake frosting can be difficult to remove, but if treated right away you should have an easier time.
How to Remove Cake Frosting Stains From Clothing
What you will need:
- Dull knife
- Heavy duty laundry detergent
- All fabric bleach
Whether you are 4 or 40 you seem to find yourself needing to know how to remove cake frosting stains from your clothing. Removing the cake frosting stains can be more difficult than you think. Not only can all of the butter, sugar, and milk stain your clothing so can the dyes that are used to make the frosting more ascetically pleasing. To help remove the cake frosting stains you will want to begin treating the stains as soon as possible.
- When you drop cake frosting on your clothing try very hard to fight the urge to try and wipe it away. Instead take a dull knife and gently scrape the frosting from the fabric. Make sure you are gentle as you do not want to create a hole in the garment.
- Pour the heavy duty laundry detergent directly on the cake frosting stain.
- Gently work the laundry detergent into the fabric with your fingers or by rubbing the fabric together.
- Allow the heavy duty laundry detergent sit for 1 minute to let it work its magic. You can allow it to sit for a little longer if you have a really stubborn stain. The detergent will soak into the fibers allowing the stain to be broken up.
- Wash the garment the way you normally would. Make sure to not dry the fabric until you are sure the stain has been removed.
- Inspect the fabric. If the stain remains you will need to move on to step 7.
- Mix together 1 gallon of water and 1 cup of all fabric bleach in a bucket. Before using the all fabric bleach you should test if the garment is colorfast or not. You can do this by putting a small amount of bleach on the inseam of the garment. Allow it to sit for about 1 minute. Wash the bleach away and inspect the fabric. If the fabric’s color changed or faded do not use this method of removing cake frosting stains. If there is no change than it is safe to use this method.
- Allow the garment to soak in the solution for about 15 minutes.
- Wash the clothing as you normally would. Again do not put the fabric into the dryer unless the stain has been removed. If the stain is still present on the clothing you will only set the stain further into the fibers with the heat.
- Inspect the clothing. If the stain has been removed you can dry the garment as you normally would. If the stain remains you can continue to repeat the steps above until the cake frosting stains have been removed.
How to Remove Cake Frosting Stains From Carpet
What you will need:
- Dull knife
- Paper towels
- White Vinegar
- Cold water
- Clean white cloth
- plastic bag
Having a kids party on your carpet can be a nightmare when the cake comes out. Both adults and kids alike can drop cake frosting on your carpet leaving you to clean the mess when the crowd clears. The quicker you can begin to treat the cake frosting stain the easier it will be to remove.
- Just like removing the cake frosting stains from clothing you should try and fight the urge to wipe the cake frosting away. Instead use a dull knife to gently scrape the excess frosting from the carpet. Gently is the key word. Do not scrape too hard as to not ruin the carpet.
- Next, mix 1 cup of cold water with 1 cup of white vinegar. Mix the solution well to evenly distribute the vinegar in the water. Tip: Ensure you use cold water! Hot water will only further set the stain into the carpet.
- Dampen the clean white cloth by submerging it into the vinegar solution and then wringing it out.
- Before treating the stain you should conduct a test on the carpet. Vinegar can cause the carpets colors to fade or change. Test a small out of the way area. If there is no color change or color fade you can proceed with the remaining stains.
- Now that you know the solution is safe to use on the carpet, saturate the clean white cloth with the vinegar solution.
- Blot the cake frosting stain with the saturated cloth. Ensure that you have completely saturated the stained area and ensure that you are only blotting the stain not rubbing the stain.
- Once you feel you have removed the cake frosting stain you should place a paper towel over the damp area of the carpet. Allow the paper towel to soak up as much of the liquid as possible. Change the paper towel as needed.
- Next, you will place a plastic bag over the paper towel soaking up the liquid.
- Place a weight, like a heavy book, over the plastic and paper towel.
- Allow the paper towel to soak up the liquid overnight.
- In the morning lift the book, plastic bag, and paper towel off of the cake frosting stained area.
- Inspect the carpet. If the stain remains repeat the stain removal process. If the cake frosting stain has been removed you can vacuum the carpet to try and make look as good as new.